In the local insert to the paper this week, it asked five people ten things that make them happy. The people picked silly things like a curling iron or jeans. That's nuts! When saw the headline on the front, the first thing that popped into my head was a nature walk, listening to the birds, smelling the fresh air, and watching the birds, bugs, squirrels, frogs, and other "little critters" that are around. I love to go to Rock Springs park. I love to go to Forest Park. They have a lovely nature path and there's a nice river, with lots of huge shady trees to sit under. Last year I ran away from home for two days and I went to Forest Park. I read, relaxed, took pictures, and strolled through the area. Every time I go I wonder to myself why I don't go more often! I'm crazy!
Anyway, here are a few of my favorite things...
Taking Nature walks or hikes - alone or with the others
Stroking the soft skin on my children's backs
A long, hot shower
Lying on the hammock watching the clouds - even better if it's with D3
Lying on the hammock watching the stars - even better with KT or AP
Swimming with my hubby, hanging on the same water tube and flirting
Listening to the kids sing praise music - they all have wonderful voices (hubby too!)
Watching Daisy to wander and play at the dog park
Napping on the couch with my soft blanket and my family nearby
A clean house, clean laundry, freshly ironed shirts, cooking, a weed-free garden
Time alone with God
I could go on, but I will stop there for today.
How many of these do I get to do every year? Month? Week? Day?
Nature walks, at least a few times a month, I'm aiming for at least a few times a week.
Stroking the kids' skin - weekly. They holler at me to stop, especially D3.
A long, hot shower - not more than once a week if I'm lucky
Watching clouds or stars, not more than once a month, if that
Swimming with D2, only once or twice a year (he hates the outdoors in summer)
Listening to the kids sing - every week or so; every day during school
Taking Daisy to the dog park - a few times a month, trying for a few times a week.
Napping on the couch - most Sundays; rarely during the week
A clean house, laundry, ironing, weed-free garden? NEVER
Time alone with God - not nearly enough. I have time every day but it's snatched in small bits, not dedicated in a large chunk. Large chunks, not more than a few times a month lately.
What does this tell me??
Thinking about this list reminds me how easy and cheap it is to enjoy some more frequent happy moments. I wonder what my kids' lists would look like? Hubby's? Anyone else, feel free to post yours. I know if I make more time for these little things then it will help the day be more enjoyable overall. (and if Mama ain't happy....) Ta Ta!!
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh,
~ a hot beverage on a cool morning, with a can't put it down book.
~listening to J's belly rolling cackling when he's doing something really fun with his Daddy.
~lounging beside the pool with D watching J happily splash away...
~having my personal maid clean my house and overhearing J's private teacher giving him all his lessons (oh wait, I think I just sliped out of reality and into a dream *wink*)
Do you know that outside of going to the zoo, I've never actually been to Forest Park. I had no idea, it sounds beautiful.
Post a Comment