Here's the article I just read:
Charge: Girl, 14, gives birth, kills newborn
ASSOCIATED PRESS
06/26/2008
BAYTOWN, Texas (AP) -- Police near Houston say they have charged a 14-year-old girl with murdering her baby in a school bathroom after secretly giving birth.
Police in Baytown said Thursday that the girl is charged as a juvenile with capital murder.
Baytown Police Capt. Roger Clifford says prosecutors will decide whether to certify her as an adult. She cannot be executed if convicted because of her age.
The girl is accused of giving birth April 2 at Cedar Bayou Junior High. Police say she stuffed toilet paper in the infant's throat and submerged him in a toilet.
The girl's attorney, Gerald Yoakum, says she didn't realize she was giving birth.
Here's what burns me up - and it may not be what you think.
Abortion burns me up. Any stage, morning after pill, early-term, late-term, partial birth, all of them. What does this young girl have to do with abortion? First of all, how can they charge her with capital murder and possibly try her as an adult and give her the death penalty when just weeks ago she could have legally asked a medical doctor (sworn to protect life) to legally kill her baby??? There is something so seriously wrong with this country. And how can we compound the unspeakably horrible situation with yet another possible killing? A 14 year old girl - I and many of my friends have girls this age. Tried for murder? It is so very wrong, just plain wrong, to teach girls that a fetus is worthless, then prosecute and maybe seek the death penalty for her acting on that worldview that she has been given by today's country - the media, the lawmakers, the general public.
IMO, yes, women do have the right to choose. When they choose the behavior, they choose the consequences - they choose sex, they choose the responsibility for another life. (Those pregnant not by their own choice I'll save for another day). I know people who have had abortions, and it's a choice they will have to live with for eternity. They could have been spared this heartache - if abortion were not legal, they would have had to find an alternate solution such as adoption.
Abortion and it's easy availability has made unborn and infant life completely worthless in many people's minds. It is just this mindset that allows young people today to devalue life such that they could consider killing a newborn baby. What is the difference between a fetus and an hours old newborn? It's legal to kill one, why not the other? This is one of the biggest reasons that abortion should not be legal!!! In fact, my mother was not much older than my daughter when I was born. She and my dad could have chosen another path, yet at age 16 and 20, they got married and cared for me. If my mom and dad had not valued life, I would not be here! I respect them and the difficult choice they made to be responsible for their actions. My dad was in college, my mom in high school, and they managed to raise me and later my brother, with my dad working and going to school to make a better life for all of us, and my mom staying home to raise us - she says it was like playing "house" with live dolls! Thanks, Mom!
Thanks for letting me vent, and if you live in Texas, I hope you can find out if there is a "30 day" newborn drop off - no questions asked policy at hospitals and police stations. If there is, maybe you can help publicize it. If not, maybe you can help get it started.
It takes all of us to do a little something to make a difference. We may be tiny pebbles, but eventually enough tiny pebbles can fill a lake. I thank those like Robin who do such wonderful work at the abortion clinics - ministering and talking to the young women who go in, and sometimes changing the eternal outcome for the good.
May the LORD bring about changes to this nation, using us as His foot soldiers.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh lord...you're not going to like this but boy do I have a rebuttal.
Ok, first of all. I don't think that the problem is abortion with this young girl. Having a legal abortion (which I'm NOT saying I agree with) is very different than horribly MURDERING your newborn by stuffing it's throat with toilet paper and drowning it in a toilet... say what you want, but they are very different.
Secondly, if abortion was illegal it wouldn't do a dang thing. Think "Dirty Dancing"... People who really didn't want a baby would still find a way...OR there would be MORE disgusting, horrible murders by teenagers. How much of our country doesn't give a crap about what's legal and what isn't? Drug use, underage drinking, and countless other activities. Responsible people don't get abortions, so that means they're probably irresponsible and would likely break the law anyway even if it was illegal.
So anyway, why don't you just leave it to God to judge some day and quit worrying so much about the legalities of this world. It's all bull anyway. Rules are broken, laws are misused... in the end, people do what they want...right or wrong. Do I think this 14 year old deserves the death penalty? I have no idea. But I do know that for a 14 year old to be SO afraid of her pregnancy that she would murder her baby in cold blood, that something was seriously wrong in her upbringing. Sex education in the schools have been worse than ever. Everyone is so hush hush about everything now a days too... Parents, whether you think so or not, have ENORMOUS effects on their children. If she thought in any way her overly strict, ultra-conservative parents would be disappointed in her and she was literally terrified and didn't' know what else to do or that there were other options, then I feel so bad for such a child. And yes, 14 is a child. So I don't know what I think should happen to this girl, but I do think that Christians are often times some of the most judgmental, over the top, "I'm-better-than-everyone-else" people and no wonder we (Christians) have such a bad rap. It must be hard being so seemingly perfect. And outsiders really do see this attitude with Christians. How can we be missionaries and get people on our side with such judgmental attitudes? We can't. There's a better way to evangelize and I am working on figuring that out.
I'm not in any way saying I agree with abortions, because I don't. I'm just saying that sometimes people need to take a more open-minded view to things and look at situations from all different angles. I did get pretty heated myself from your blog and just needed to get my own point across.
Love you!
Post a Comment